Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Turn Admin On!


Please take time to read the instructions on how to apply for Consular Report of Birth Abroad, the necessary forms you need to complete prior to coming to apply, as well as the supporting documents you need to present.


We no longer accept applications for children born in Kosovo, for more info please contact the Consular Section Pristina at


Before we can provide passport services for a child born abroad of American parent(s), a Consular Report of Birth Abroad must be prepared to establish the child’s claim to American citizenship.

A child born abroad, on or after November 14, 1986, 2:00p.m. EST, of one American and one alien parent acquires U.S. citizenship at birth if the American parent has been physically present in the United States prior to the birth of the child for a minimum period of 5 (five) years, at least 2 (two) of which were after the age of 14 (fourteen).

A child born abroad to two U.S. citizen parents receives U.S. citizenship at birth if one of the parents has resided in the United States or one of its outlying possessions before the birth of the child.

A child born abroad to an American citizen mother and out of wedlock acquires U.S. citizenship if the mother has been physically present in the United States prior to the birth of the child for a minimum period of one continuous year.

Appearance in person of both parents and the child is required.

What documents are required?

  1. Child’s birth certificate (International extract)
  2. Parent’s marriage certificate (International extract) If married in the United States, please provide a state certificate issued by the civil authorities.

    The birth and marriage certificates obtained in Macedonia should be in English.  This is available by requesting International extracts from the civil registry office (Maticna sluzba).
  3. Evidence of American citizenship of the parent(s).
  4. If either parent has previously been married, proof of termination of previous marriage(s), i.e. death certificate, divorce decree, etc.  If the document is not in English, it should be translated.
  5. Evidence of the required residence in the United States.  Physical presence is the actual time when the American citizen parent was physically within the borders of the United States. This means that any travel outside the United States, including vacation, should be excluded. Maintaining a residence in the U.S. does not constitute physical presence. Examples of evidence include school transcripts, tax returns, proof of employment, or any other document which shows that you were physically in the United States.

    Note: Any periods of time spent overseas with the United States Military/Government or qualifying international organization (such as the United Nations) may be computed as physical presence in the United States for transmission of citizenship purposes. Time spent as a dependent of such person may also be computed as physical presence. Military records or other proof may be requested.
  6. Mother’s pregnancy book (pregnancy records)
  7. Discharge paper from the hospital.
  8. Form DS-2029-Application for Consular Report of Birth. [pdf 51.1kb]Please complete this form legibly and correctly. Instructions on how to complete this form are given on the reverse side of the form.  Please do not sign the form until instructed by the Consular Officer to do so.
  9. Form DS-5507-Should be completed by the U.S. citizen parent.  If the U.S. citizen parent cannot come to the Embassy to sign the form, s/he should notarize the form and mail it to his/her spouse along with a notarized copy of his/her U.S. passport.
  10. Form SS-5-FS [pdf 163kb]: This form is an application for a Social Security Number Card for your child if he/she is under the age of 5 at the time of application. Please ensure that it is accurately completed. Note: Do not sign the form until told to do so - it must be executed at the Embassy. This application will then be sent to the Social Security Administration for processing. You should receive the number in four or five month's time.

Note:  If you wish to return your original documents please present the originals together with photocopies. Upon examination, the originals will be returned to you.

Fees: The fee for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad is $100.00 dollars or the equivalent in Macedonian denars, payable in cash or by credit card (accepted credit cards are: Visa, Master Card, Discover, American Express and Diner's). Payment in Euros or with check cannot be accepted.

Please complete the attached forms to enable us to prepare the Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

How do I apply for my child’s passport?

Both parents and the child need to be present at the Embassy to execute the passport application form. For proof of identity, both parents' passports are required. If the second parent is absent, the application must be accompanied by the absent parent's notarized written Statement of Consent, Form DS-3035, authorizing passport issuance for the child. The statement should also include the child's name and date and place of birth.

What documents are required?

A completed passport application Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport.

Please complete all white sections of the form legibly and correctly. Please do not sign the form until instructed by the Consular Officer to do so.

1 Photographs. Your photograph must be:

  • In color
  • 2 x 2 inches in size
  • Taken within the past 6 months, showing current appearance
  • Full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background
  • Between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
  • Taken in normal street attire:
    • Do not wear a hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hairline
    • If you normally wear prescription glasses, a hearing device, wig or similar articles, they should be worn for your picture
    • Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons (a medical certificate may be required)

Fees: The passport fee for a child under 16 years of age is $105.00 and for a child of 16-18 years is $135.00. The fee may be paid either in cash, in U.S. dollars or Macedonian Denars or by credit card (accepted credit cards are: Visa, Master Card, Discover, American Express and Diner's). Payment in Euros or with check cannot be accepted. A child born to U.S. Military personnel may be entitled to a no-fee passport. Please check with your Personal Affairs Office on base.

What to Expect When You Visit the Embassy

  1. We suggest arriving 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment to allow time for security checks at the Embassy entrance.
  2. When you arrive, let the guards know that you have an appointment with the American Citizen Services Unit. You will be asked to show a picture ID.
  3. Please do not bring mobile phones, cameras and other electronic devices with you.  If you do, they will need to be left with the guards, which will delay your entry into the embassy.
  4. You will be asked to pass through the metal detector.
  5. Once you enter the compound, you will be directed to the Consular Section.
  6. Inside the Consular Section, our staff will be expecting you at windows number 8 or 9.

To make the appointment, please click here

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.