Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Turn Admin On!

Information for Travelers

Macedonia has recently enacted changes to its law for foreigners.  The law went into effect as of January 1, 2008.

The following is an unofficial summary of key provisions of the new law.  For the most up-to-date and complete information on entry and residency requirements, contact the Macedonian Ministry of Internal Affairs where the complete text of the Law on Foreigners in Macedonian and English language can be found. 

Disclaimer:  The U.S. Embassy in Macedonia takes no responsibility for the accuracy of the information in this guide and recommends that applicants for Macedonian visas or residency also contact the nearest Macedonian Embassy or Consulate or the Macedonian Ministry of Internal Affairs

Short trip for business or tourism:  A valid passport is required for travel to Macedonia.  A visa is not required for U.S. passport holders for tourist and business trips up to 90 days during a six-month period.  Entry stamps are issued at airports or land border crossing points, which grant permission to remain 90 days.  All foreign citizens must register with local police within 24 hours of arrival.  Those staying in private accommodation or renting an apartment should register in person at the police station nearest his/her place of residence, and should be accompanied to the station by the owner or landlord of the apartment.  Hotels are responsible for the registration of the foreign guests.  If the foreigner changes address in Macedonia, he or she should notify the police station where initially registered and reregister with the police station closest to the place of residence. 

An unaccompanied minor U.S. citizen who enters Macedonia should be in possession a parental or guardian statement of consent to enter and stay in the country.  The statement of consent must be certified by a competent authority of the country from which s/he arrives or by a diplomatic or consular mission of the Republic of Macedonia abroad.

NOTE:  A U.S. citizen who possesses more than one passport is obliged to leave the country with the travel document used for entry into the country.

Temporary residence:  Individuals intending to work, study or remain longer than 90 (ninety) days in Macedonia, must obtain an entry visa prior to their arrival in Macedonia.  The practice of switching from tourist status to long-term status when already in Macedonia is no longer allowed.  Those wanting to do so must leave Macedonia and apply for a long-term visa at a Macedonian Embassy or Consulate.  Macedonian visas, as opposed to entry stamps, can only be issued at a Macedonian Embassy or Consulate in a foreign country. 

American citizens resident in the United States may apply at:
Macedonian Embassy in Washington D.C.
2129 Wyoming Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20008
Tel: (202) 667-0501
Fax: (202) 667-2131

The passport should be valid for at least three months longer than the validity of the visa.

A foreigner to whom a long-term visa is issued should visit the branch office of the Ministry of Internal Affairs within 5 (five) days from the date of entry into Macedonia where the office shall issue such a foreigner a temporary residence permit within 25 (twenty five) days.  In Skopje, the Sector for Foreigners is located on the 9th floor of the Macedonian Radio and Television Building.  The office is open Tuesdays and Thursdays between 9:00 a.m. and 12:00.  The Macedonian Radio and Television Building is located at Boulevard Goce Delcev, bb; tel: (02) 311-6678 or 311-7766.  Foreigners residing in Macedonia and whose temporary residence permits are about to expire, should extend their permits in the same offices.

For additional information about the conditions and procedures for visa issuance, the applicant should contact the Embassy or Consulate of the Republic of Macedonia.  Using the list of diplomatic and consular missions of the Republic of Macedonia abroad (which can be found at the Ministry of Foreign Affair’s website), a visa applicant can choose the most convenient Embassy/Consulate to submit the visa application.